top of page
Children's Camp_Glen Lake_Dedication Rock.JPG


Glen Lake Children’s Camp was built in 1925 as a part of the Glen Lake Sanatorium which treated people with tuberculosis. The Glen Lake Children’s Camp treated children who had either been exposed to tuberculosis or had been diagnosed with the disease. The camp was closed in 1950 after the discovery of antibiotics which largely controlled the disease. In 1983 the camp was transferred from Hennepin County to the city of Eden Prairie and currently leases the camp to True Friends which operates the facility to help children and adults with disabilities. This property is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The stone monument was placed in 1925 to acknowledge the efforts of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Christian, who founded this camp and one in Minneapolis. The inscription on the stone reads:

“Glen Lake Childrens Camp Presented by the Citizens Aid Society and gratefully dedicated to the memory of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Christian, who maintained the first camp in Minneapolis and whose hope was for the health and happiness of all children.”

The last tuberculosis patient was discharged in 1976. The sanatorium complex, with the exception of the children's camp, was demolished in 1993. In 1997, most of the land became the Glen Lake Golf and Practice Center operated by Three Rivers Park District. The children's camp is still in operation, leased to True Friends and operated by Eden Wood Center. Today, camp, respite, retreats, and team-building programs are offered at this convenient, yet secluded metro location. Camp Eden Wood is able to accommodate up to 80 people. 

In 2019, the stone monument was restored to its original condition by having the stone professionally cleaned and the letters repainted with special stone paint. This restoration was a joint effort by the Eden Prairie Community Foundation who arranged to have the stone cleaned, the Eden Prairie Heritage Preservation Commission which secured the approvals from the Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office, and the Eden Prairie Historical Society, which provided the materials and labor for the project.

bottom of page