Lured by the rich farmlands, Sheldon Smith became one of the earliest settlers in Eden Prairie. He built a red brick Queen Ann–style home in 1877 close to the center of town which included a railroad depot, creamery, grain elevator, pickle factory, general store, and implement dealer.
His family lived in the home, farmed the land, had a kitchen garden, and planted grapevines. They also took in boarders. His daughter Amie Smith Douglas later operated the farm, became one of the town’s first college graduates, and was on the local school board in the 1920s.
Helen and Earl More bought the house in 1952 and added plumbing and electricity. Helen planted a legendary variety of hosta plants still blooming there today, and Earl’s stained-glass work can be seen in the bay window.
In 2001 the city of Eden Prairie hired the architectural firm MacDonald & Mack to restore and renovate the house into a coffee shop. The redesign won an American Institute of Architects merit award, received an honor award from the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota, and is an official Eden Prairie Heritage Site.
Since 2018, the Smith-Douglas-More House has been home to Smith Coffee & Cafe. It’s still a traditional house inside, though — the hallways, stairs, and several rooms on two floors are filled with eclectic furniture and antiques.