top of page

WYEVIEW MOTEL

THE MOTEL

The land upon which the Wyeview Motel was built was purchased in 1939 by Raymond and Alberta Tolley from the estate of Orville Johnson.

It is unknown when the motel was built but it first appeared in a 1945 aerial photo. The motel property was sold to Burnt William and Laura S. Chell in 1947. Burnt Chell died in 1960 after running the motel for 13 years. Following 1960, several parties were involved in the ownership of the motel including John and Nancy Ryan, Edward and Margaret Ryan, Peter and Hulda Wold, and Franklyn and Alice Olson.

In 1969, Laura Chell sold the property to John and Nancy Ryan. A development proposal was submitted to the city in 1975 and the buildings were probably razed about that time. There is a hotel on this site currently that was built in 1985. One of the real estate transfers from 1965 contained a detailed inventory of buildings and property intended to be included in the sale. That inventory lists 12 cabins with furniture and other equipment for running the motel.

Much of the history of the Wyeview Motel is a mystery. The Historical Society was reminded of its existence when Gary Schmitz brought pictures of the motel sign and a receipt for cabin rental 1954 that his father had saved.

THE MOBIL STATION

The land upon which the Wyeview Motel was built was purchased in 1939 by Raymond and Alberta Tolley from the estate of Orville Johnson.

It is unknown when the motel was built but it first appeared in a 1945 aerial photo. The motel property was sold to Burnt William and Laura S. Chell in 1947. Burnt Chell died in 1960 after running the motel for 13 years. Following 1960, several parties were involved in the ownership of the motel including John and Nancy Ryan, Edward and Margaret Ryan, Peter and Hulda Wold, and Franklyn and Alice Olson.

In 1969, Laura Chell sold the property to John and Nancy Ryan. A development proposal was submitted to the city in 1975 and the buildings were probably razed about that time. There is a hotel on this site currently that was built in 1985. One of the real estate transfers from 1965 contained a detailed inventory of buildings and property intended to be included in the sale. That inventory lists 12 cabins with furniture and other equipment for running the motel.

Much of the history of the Wyeview Motel is a mystery. The Historical Society was reminded of its existence when Gary Schmitz brought pictures of the motel sign and a receipt for cabin rental 1954 that his father had saved.

bottom of page